The ancient art of body sugaring performed right in Cobourg. Serving clients across Northumberland County, Ontario.
How can sugaring help you?
Sugaring is an Ancient method of hair removal that has been around for hundreds of years. It involves the use of a natural, vegan and gluten-free sugar paste that is applied in the opposite direction of one’s hair growth and then removed in the hair’s natural direction. The hair is lifted from the root, which is more effective than shaving, which removes hair only from the skin’s surface. Sugaring will keep your skin smooth for approximately 4 - 6 weeks and is often described as less painful than waxing. Here at Hilltop Electrolysis we use only Alexandria Professional brand sugar, a leader in the sugar paste market.
Sugaring Vs. Waxing: What to expect!
People often ask what the difference between sugaring and waxing is. Both are forms of hair removal that removes hair from the root. As mentioned above, when sugaring, the paste is applied in the opposite direction of one’s hair growth. When it is lifted, however, it is removed in the hair’s natural direction. Waxing is conducted in the opposite manner, where the wax is applied in the hair’s natural direction and removed against the hair growth which may lead to more hair breakage.
The ingredients in sugar paste are made up of 100 % water-soluble natural hypoallergenic ingredients that will not damage your skin (or clothing). Sugaring is great for people with sensitive skin or conditions such as eczema, PCOS, and psoriasis. Sugaring does not stick to live skin cells and removes the dead ones along with the unwanted hair. Plus sugar paste is kept just above body temperature, thus illuminating the chance of burning the skin.
Waxing is often said to be more painful than sugaring as it involves removing both dead and live skin cells, down to the hair follicle. The ingredients in wax mixtures often contain beeswax, resin and oils. Waxing is said to leave bumps, irritation and potential in-grown hairs. Sugaring is said to have more minor reactions.
How to prepare for your appointment
- Exfoliate your skin 48-24 hours prior to appointment
- Your hair needs to be 1/4 to 1/8 inch long.
- Apply numbing cream one hour prior to appointment if necessary.
- Avoid sugaring just before your period when your skin may be more sensitive.
AftercareAftercare Protocol | The Do’s & Don’t of waxing/sugaring
Sugaring doesn't have much after care because it's one of the most gentle hair removal techniques on the market. We recommend:
- Keep all area’s clean and fresh after hair removal. Your skin is open and more prone to infection.
- Once your skin feels back to normal(2+ days) begin to exfoliate the area to ensure hairs can get through. This will help elevate ingrown. We recommend a medium grit glove with a sugar or coffee scrub.
- If you have sensitive skin we recommend trying sugaring over waxing. You can take a Tylenol/Aspirin 1 hour prior to your appt to help with comfort. Your skin is also more sensitive right before and during your period.
Don’ts within the first 24hrs
- Avoid Hot tubs, steam rooms, hot showers/baths.
- Avoid direct sunlight, sun tanning, or tanning beds.
- Don’t wear tight clothing, let your skin breathe.
- Don’t use perfumed products, harsh skin products, skin products that contain retinol or alpha hydroxy acids on waxed/sugared skin.
- Avoiding touching the area(s) where hair removal was performed.
- Work out or cause yourself to sweat. Sweat can irritate the skin causing itchiness.
AFTER 24 HOURS:
- Start a gently scrub after 3 days.
- Don’t shave between waxing/sugaring: this would affect the hair grow cycle. If you shave between allow 10-14days after you last shave before your next sugar/wax
- Protect your body from direct sunlight using a good SPF 50+.
- Show your new hairless skin off 💜
Alexandria Sugar Paste
As mentioned above, Alexandria sugar pastes are the leading brand in the professional market. Hilltop Electrolysis is proud to be a user of their fabulous products and our clients will agree that their sugar yields terrific results! Alexandria Professional was founded in 1991 by Lina Kennedy and is known as the ‘Sugar Queen’!
Upper lip $15.00
Chin/sides of face $25.00
Full face $45.00
Half arms $30.00
Full arms $45.00
Half leg $45.00
Full leg $65.00
Full leg w/ bikini $80.00
Brazilian $55.00 +
Full Body $200.00+
Vacation Package $150.00 +
Half back $40.00
Full back $60.00
Half arms $40.00
Full arms $50.00
Half leg $50.00
Full leg $75.00